I am so excited to have launched my first webcomic series!
I have been reading comics on Tapastic for a few months now and love the platform. It is easy to navigate, the quality of work is fantastic and there is a little something for everyone’s tastes.
The more, I read comics, the more I am able to see the humor in my everyday life. I have always been a creative person, with a vivid imagination, so I figured, why not put those skills to use.
My webcomic series is called “An Elephant Never Learns” and it features a variety of animals, plants and inanimate objects in humorous situations. You can check out the first episode at https://tapastic.com/episode/639551.
Since this is my first comic, you can say that I am still in beta mode. I am still navigating the creators side of Tapastic, which even for a technical-dope like me, is pretty easy to use. I should be a pro in no time. I still have a lot to learn about creating comics, but that will come in time as well.
The picture below is a coloured pencil drawing I completed in 2016. I was very happy with the drawing at the time, but as I worked more and more with coloured pencil, I began to notice that I wasn’t getting the saturation and deep contrasts that I wanted.
It may be due to the type of coloured pencil I am using; I have only worked with the Derwent Coloursoft. In retrospect, it is more likely that I am laying the black down over too many layers and thus not getting it as dark as I would like.
I sprayed some workable fixative on the paper and tried to darken the blacks. It helped a little bit, but didn’t make as drastic a difference as I had hoped. I then decided to experiment with markers and oil pastels on top of the coloured pencil. The result is below.
I am much more happy with the results (for now anyways). I may go back once more and clean up the background and some of the feather details.
Which one do you like better? The softer, muted tones of the first picture, or the more vibrant colours of the second picture?
Strathmore Mixed Media paper
Derwent coloursoft coloured pencils
Grumbacher Oil Pastels
Prismacolour Premier Brush tip marker – black
Spectrafix Degas Pastel Fixative (not over the marker; because it will cause the marker to bleed very, very, very badly. I am glad I did a text spray on scrap paper before spraying the final piece. It would have been a streaky, blurry mess.)
Above are some graphite sketches from May 2014. For other “Supernatural” fans out there, the characters need no introduction, but for everyone else, the top one is Sam and the bottom one is Lillith in one of her many forms.
I came up with the idea for this card last year, but Christmas came and went before I got the chance to make and distribute it.
Today, I decided to put the plan into action. I printed out the template (the one I designed last year) onto cardstock paper. Using a window as a light table, I traced the lettering onto the front of my card.
Then I cut out the light bulb template with an xacto knife and traced it onto coloured paper. After cutting out each bulb, I glued them to the card.
I used a Prismacolour marker to draw over the lettering.
I decided that it looked unfinished so I filled in the word “Merry” and added sliver sockets to the bulbs. It’s a simple card, but I like how it turned out.